Downsizing your house is a big decision and one that can be stressful. At Shoreline Removals we have dealt with hundreds of customers who have downsized and so we have put together a guide to help and explain how to do downsize and tips to help make it easier.
The main reasons to downsize
- A smaller home will require less money to run every month. Your electricity, water and gas bills are all likely to decrease, leaving you with even more money to play with.
- If you are downsizing you are obviously going to save money, so you can book that holiday you wanted to go on or have more money at the end of the month to treat yourself.
- Downsizing allows you to have a big sort of the stuff you don’t want or need anymore and make your new home clutter free.
- Downsizing gives you less responsibilities. Not only will your living costs generally decrease but also the house should need less work meaning less cleaning and house maintenance so you can sit down, relax and enjoy your new home.
- Restarting a new part of your life is a major reason to downsize. This will allow you to have a new lease of life and enjoy yourself and your family.
Prepare to downsize
A good way to start when downsizing your home is to plan 3 months ahead of time before you move so you are ready. You should measure your rooms in your old home and compare them to the rooms in your new home, so you know what belongings will fit and what ones you will have to sell or get rid of. Also, check what storage is available in your new home and how much you will be able to fit in the house, this helps you know exactly how much stuff you can take and store. Prepare yourself ready for the move in advance so that you can try and relax and not stress too much on move day as there will be lots going on.
Divide belongings into groups
Dividing your belongings into groups is a great tip for downsizing! One group should consist of things that are essential and that you will take to your new house. The other group of stuff is belongings you could live without, you then have to decide if it’s worth the extra space in your new house and the money to pay for a removal company to move it. You may also find our blog on Top Tips For Decluttering Your Home When You Are Moving a useful read if you are downsizing and trying to declutter.
Make a list
Make a list of what you are getting rid of, and what you are keeping when you are moving your stuff around so you don’t lose track of what is going on. It is quite easy to forget what you were getting rid of and then decide to keep it anyway.
Sell belongings you don’t need
Now you know the stuff you are not keeping you can put them up for sale or get rid of them to the local tip or the local charity shop. Remember it can take some time for belongings to sell so make sure you put them for sale a few weeks or months before you move to give them enough time to sell.
Free removals quote and advice
If you’re downsizing your house and are looking for a reliable removal company in North Wales that covers all of North Wales and the North West call our team on 01745 770555.